Friday, May 2, 2008

Objects in the Rearview Mirror...

...may appear closer than they are. Never understood those Meatloaf lyrics, since the mirror itself actually says "objects in the rearview mirror may be closer than they appear." Either he messed up or I'm just missing something (the latter is the probable).


*

I've often toyed with the idea of using a camera to take pictures of my rearview mirror when parked at a stoplight in the mornings on the way to work. Why, you ask? Because people do some really *blam*ed up things while parked at stoplights in the morning, few of which are departures from the surreal or absurd. I've seen plenty of things: makeup, hair, reading, eating, changing of clothing, singing to the radio (not extraordinary but always funny). I'm sure there's more but my feeble brain has shoved that information out to make space for other, less useful information. Anyway, I think pictures of people in a rearview mirror would make a pretty entertaining collage.

I mean, I'm sure I look like an idiot at a stoplight with my stoned "my WheatiesTM haven't kicked in yet" face. But, yeah, I'm not composing a symphony or anything while sitting at a stoplight. In fact, I'm growling at the dude (or dudette) in front of me to move his (or her) car since the light has been green for five seconds or more.


*

So here is my favorite picture currently circulating around the Internet (no, I didn't create it, I have no idea who did). I don't know why I find it funny but I suspect it's because it involves a cat. It is still my opinion that cats were put on this earth to be made fun of...period. Not like monkeys. Monkeys are inherently funny. Sure, they do silly or stupid things but we're not laughing at them, we're laughing with them. We're laughing at cats.


2 comments:

MissNibbles said...

I sing and dance in the car whilst I drive. Or I play this game that I like to call 'mindless flirting" And I wink and give the 'hey baby' nod to every man who is alone in the front seat. It's ridiculously funny when it's this old man and I'm all winkin and smiling. I figure if I don't make their day, then at least I make them wonder if I"m crazy....

Anonymous said...

he uses the word are to support the rhyme pattern - ABCBDB - each second line rhymes - a common practice in songwriting - since it facilitates the development of the music phrase - more obvious when you see it

But it was long ago and it was far away,
Oh God it seems so very far
And if life is just a highway,
Then the soul is just a car
And objects in the rear view mirror
May appear closer than they are