Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Continue the Research

So, the other day, I called a guy at work who was having a problem with his laptop. We did some troubleshooting on it. At one point, the outcome was what I expected so I said "Excellent"...in much the same way Mr. Burns from the Simpsons would. The funny thing is that I didn't really mean to slip into Burns, it just happened. The guy on the other end was totally cool and I doubt I would have ever lapsed had I been talking to some grumpy hardass.

So he picks up on this and we talk Simpsons for a couple of minute while the usual happens--the computer reboots, or a loading progress bar slowly progresses across the illuminated screen of goodness. When we got to troubleshooting again, most of the rest of the conversation (which lasted about 15 minutes) was done in Simpsons-speak. This kind of thing happens among friends with as much regularity as the Nile flooding or Old Faithful spouting or my cat vomiting, but I've never had a client who appreciated them as much as I do.

The only other time anyone (other than friends) has surprised me was at Shakespeare's Pizza. Shakespeare's, for the unititiated, is pizza that Moses brought down the mountain along with the 10 Commandments. There were originally 15 Commandments, but everyone was so busy eating the best pizza known to man that they forgot about the other four.

Anyway, at Shakespeare's you order your pizza at the counter, give the dude your name, and sit down to wait. Eventually, whenever they feel like it, they'll call your name to come get your pizza. I always give them the name of someone from the Simpsons. Usually it's Homer or Mr. Burns or Smithers or something easy. But one day I gave them Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo. When my name was called and I went to get my pizza, the dude cut it up, gave it to me, and said "you just made everyone's day!"

Excellent...

Who needs the Kwik-E-Mart?
Their floors are stick-e-mart!
They made dad sick-e-mart!
Let's hurl a brick-e-mart!
The kwik-e-mart is real--D'oh!

No comments: