Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Glimpse

I just posted a new piece of writing in my Writing.com portfolio called "The Glimpse". It is my entry for June's "Mythical Creatures" contest on WDC (which, this month, is about unicorns). I actually entertained myself when I reread it (it's short) so even if nobody else cares, at least I got a kick out of it. As always, any feedback is appreciated.

*
So, just recently, G caught Kiera (our 45'ish pound dog) up on the table, scarfing down every last victual as if she were Ghandi's unwilling partner. We've had plenty of things disappear from the counters and the table but we always suspected our other dog, Nouméa (a 7-pound little tyrant) was the ringleader. Some food items were in too large of quantities for her to have consumed on her own. But apparently the blame has been largely misplaced. Nouméa is far from an innocent soul--she has engineered some of the greatest disasters known to us--but she apparently took some blame that was not hers.

Kiera has been suitably dressed-down (get it? "suit"..."dressed"? Tough room!) and hopefully will not partake of her scandalous ways again. She usually responds well when she knows we are angry with her, whereas Nouméa would most likely give us the finger if she had one to give.

*

I recently picked my guitar up and, surprisingly, didn't just set it back down as I've done for at least a year. I asked myself "self, why haven't you been interested in playing this fine instrument for so long?" I think I got my answer. I haven't learned anything new in a long, long time. Everything I've written is old and everything else I can play is also old. So I decided I would learn a new song. What song? Since I seem to be hooked on "Still Alive" by Jonathon Coulton, I decided it would be perfect! And it's definitely fun to play. I first tried playing by ear which was productive. But impatience took over and I downloaded the tablature instead. I have a great ear but I also don't want to get bored.

1 comment:

KPiep said...

I am thrilled to death that you picked up your guitar! It's been a long time, and I know how happy it makes you.