Thursday, July 3, 2008

In the Garden of Eden, Babeh

Garden Update: So the plants are all doing very well. The one green pepper is coming along nicely, nurtured carefully by neglect and scorn. The tomato plants are ready to start producing and the strawberry plant has little white berries growing. With this garden I shall hold the entire food supply of our house and rule with a spartan regime! Bow down to me and my foodstuffs!! Do it! Or I shall eat a strawberry and make you watch!


*

So here's a riddle for you. What do you get when you have mix a retired father, too much time, and knowledge of my intense disdain for Barney? I imagine it might look a little something like this...



Yes, that would be "Cactus-Climbing Barney". Though I personally like to think of it as "Barney doing us all a favor", but that's just me. The imagination is a wonderful thing!

*

So I've decided that this whole "expensive gas" thing might be one of the best things to happen to our planet in a long time. Sure, it sucks more than a Dyson vacuum cleaner to be forced to show collateral every time you fill up the ol' tank but the necessity to find cheaper energy sources has propelled us forward at a rather abrupt pace. What would have normally taken the US a decade to do is being done now. People are ditching their SUVs and going for more fuel-efficient vehicles. In response, auto makers are starting to shape up and produce more fuel-efficient vehicles.

This just goes to prove that most people do many things out of necessity only. Me? I've enjoyed getting 32 mpg (highway) for 13 years. That's still pretty good by today's standards but I am overjoyed to see it becoming more the norm. Of course, cars produce very little pollution in comparison to emissions by factories. Once we kick in alternative power sources for the masses in the non-auto arena things could turn around pretty quickly. But, for now, I'm more than content to watch our oil consumption go down. OPEC and its cronies can float and sputter.

I'm not insane I'm not insane

No comments: