Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Miracle of Non-Modern Science!

Vinegar. That's right, vinegar. Apparently it does more than just smell a little strange and sit on the shelf in the pantry, waiting to be used. I remember, back in our old house, we used vinegar to help get wallpaper (curse you!) off the walls. It wasn't the greatest smell in the world but it did the job pretty well. Now if people would just stop putting up wallpaper...

So K recently got turned onto the idea of using vinegar as a substitute for other household substances which may or may not cause cancer, bleeding out the eyes, and instill a love for "Cop Rock" in the user. A solution of vinegar and water will clean most surfaces as well if not better than many household disinfecting cleaners. We now clean the kitchen and bathrooms with it (yes, even the toilets). And if you need a refresher while you're cleaning, give yourself a couple of spritzes! Mmmmm, refreshing!

The biggest change so far is that K has experimented with baking soda (sometimes combined with apple cider vinegar) as shampoo. Yes, seriously. And it seems to work better than actual shampoo. Neither she nor I can notice any difference except that we're not killing cute baby fish with nasty chemicals. I think I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and try it this weekend.

I also got a recipe from a friend to make our own laundry soap. It looks incredibly simple, requires three ingredients, and should save a boatload of cash. I can't say whether it's better for the environment but it's better for MY environment...you know, the one inside my wallet? Yeah, that one. I'M SAYING IT'S CHEAPER!!! Jeez, do I have to explain everything to you? Okay, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell...there there. Here now, drink your vinegar and calm down.

We've all been lost for most of this life
Everywhere we turn more hatred surrounds us

No comments: