Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Chapter 1!

Sometimes it's not easy writing creatively. It's usually more difficult to rewrite creatively. I tend to look back on old writing styles of yore and nearly want to vomit. I wrote that?? Usually it's very apparent as to which writers influenced me at the time. I truly hope my latest efforts (and future efforts) are a digression from that. Usually I am proud of what I write and Chapter 1 is no exception. Though I don't think I have found my stride yet and I may go back and tweak it a little once I've got a few more chapters pounded out.

So, dear reader, if you wish to take it in, click on the happy guy on the right and enter the passkey. As always, I really am interested in what you think. If it sucks, I want to know (though you can sugar coat it with a cherry on top if you wish but I need no such pleasantries).

Go World!

The Olympics are in full swing and I am inecplicably sucked in. I don't think most people truly appreciate the games until they are older. Certainly college students, chugging beer through a homemade bong-like apparatus, couldn't give a greasy rat's derrier about them. High schoolers are too wound up in the usual drama to notice. And anyone younger than that is probably glued to their Xbox. But there is something about them that really keeps me watching. It's almost as if there is a 24/7, two-week-long world party going on and everyone's invited. There are always amazing moments--some good and some rather less good--that transpire. Sometimes I care if the US wins a medal, sometimes I don't.

Both of the Spuds seem to be drawn into the Olympics as well. G voiced her dislike of beach volleyball (an opinion which, I must say, I seem to share) but was transfixed when synchronized diving came on. SYNCHRONIZED DIVING!! She and T spent the next hour pretending to be synchronized divers, jumping off the couch. They even climbed out of the "pool" using the arm of the couch, and then proceeded to towel off with a blanket.

I can't wait until they catch a glimpse of the really funny sports like trampoline, ribbon-dancing, and the gazing ball dancing.

GenCon

The "Best 4 Days of Gaming" are upon us, officially starting tomorrow. I am not attending this year due to lack of time, lack of money, and a general lack of closeness with the group of friends who are going. Last year I roomed and drove down with some of them and spent precisely 15% of the total time with them, sometimes being frustrated or irritated with a couple of them for one reason or another. I'm not really sure there's much of a point in going with a group of friends with whom I'm not really going to hang out.

But I do miss GenCon. It's very liberating to know that absolutely everyone who attends is at least some kind of a geek like me. It's nice to get up in the morning and know you have the whole day to do pretty much whatever you want, whenever you want. And there is always something going on--24 hours a day. It's nice just to wander the convention hall and see what gems you can turn up or who you can run into. Ah well, maybe next year.

Excuse the unseen, ignore the untrue
Depictions we see and try to get through
Admitting mistakes can hurt
I'm not the last but I sure ain't the first

No comments: