Friday, October 10, 2008

Cut Back, Baby

First of all, I think it's important to note that there is at least something to look forward to in today's economic stew of despair: Halo 3: Recon. It's a year off, yet (though I suspect that date could slip like me on a floor sprayed with Pam) but it already looks like it resides mostly in the Very Cool Zone.

So, yeah, here we have the economy. And it's not just the US. This should not come as a surprise to anyone who understands that the world is a "global economy". One country has problems and we all feel it. It's pretty simple, really.

I was watching the news recently and they were doing a report on how people are cutting back. And the methods people were using were dumbfounding...that's a strange way to put it, I know. Basically, everyone who spoke acted like they were rocket scientists for figuring out how to cut back. This type of thing comes as second nature to my family since we lead a pretty simple life.

One woman was saying how, to cut back, she now brews her own coffee!! I wish she'd share that secret with the rest of the world, because we're tired of always having to buy it or dig it out of the ground for harvest.

Another woman told a tale of how she had to pull her daughter out of gymnastics classes...then she stopped the lawn service!! The horror! Frankly, I would have stopped the lawn service before the gymnastics thing, but since I take care of my own lawn anyway, that would mean firing myself. And I don't do that...and you can't make me.

We have moved to more natural, less costly alternatives to common products. For example, we now make our own laundry soap, all-purpose cleaner, and even shampoo. Each of these concoctions costs a tiny fraction of store-bought, chemical-laced products. And each one does a better job, too. How's that for cutting back and being more environmentally friendly?

Let's all just keep that in mind...and ignore the fact that my garden was made of fail (probably due to me planting it two months too late).

We are the lazy generation

No comments: