Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Santa, Where Art Thou? (Live Version)

So here it is, the eve of Christmas Eve. We've got all of our shopping done (and have essentially had it done for a few weeks) so now there is not much left to do but hang out and wait for the big day. These days, Christmas has a much different meaning than when I was a kid. I loved Christmas then and I love it now...but for totally different reasons.

As I think back to my childhood, I can't help but recall the fond memories of waking up Christmas morning to see what was under the tree. It was so hard sleeping solidly. I would wake up at least a dozen times and be so excited that it would take me a long time just to fall back asleep for an hour or so. It was magical.

Yes, much of me was excited about the presents I'd get and the hours of fun I'd have with all the crap that was released from its paper-shrouded prison. That's not really such a bad thing for a child. Obviously Christmas has a much broader scope than things wrapped in paper. But, to a certain extent, kids should be allowed to be kids. The larger Christmas message is lost on them for quite a while.

As an adult, a very large part of Christmas is just spending lots of time with my family--doing Christmas activities, watching crappy Christmas movies, or just being around each other. It's wonderful to just enjoy the company of people you might see every day but don't realize how much you appreciate. It's awesome.

But there is a part of me that misses Santa. I miss believing in Santa--the wonder and mystery that surrounds him. Sure, presents that mysteriously appear under the tree from some dude in a sleigh are nice, but I really miss having something magical to believe in. I mean, he could be a dog or a dragon or something else. That doesn't matter. Come to think of it, Santa Dragon would be awesomesauce. I guess I just miss the ability to believe in something that is so absurd it has to be fake. I know there are no flying jolly fat men and no dragons in the world. But it would be fun to believe in them again.

Grandma got run over by a reindeer

No comments: