Thursday, February 5, 2009

Have Some Random With Your Eggs

There are certain times when I simply feel like a freak. Most of these times have to do with physical stuff--the way I seem to be able to illicit a cracking sound from any joint in my body at will, when I have a four-inch-long hair growing out of my arm, or the fact that I can perfectly mimic the sound of a cat horking a hairball (the Blogger spell checker loves that word, btw). Truly, I have my freakish moments.

So it's no surprise to me when I have an itch but can't find it. Yes, that's right...an itch I can't find. I call this a "phantom itch". During my morning drive to work this morning, my forehead started itching. I scratched it but found no relief. Though that spot felt as if it were itching, it truly wasn't. Or was it?

I don't know why exactly this happens. It's not like it happens all the time, but it is ponderous nonetheless. I finally found the source of the itch...on the back of my head. Go figure.

Let's All Get Lost
So I watched Lost last night (don't worry, no spoilers here). I love the show but am getting a bit confused with all the...shall we say..."shifting" going on. I can't keep anything straight half the time. I think they have only two(?) more seasons left so hopefully this problem will subside and I can get onto more pressing issues...like who's going to save the cheerleader? Oh, wait...different show. I gave up on that one after Season 2. But I'm committed to sticking with Lost. It still compels me. It commands me. During every commercial break I go into the kitchen and make it a sandwich.

Sometimes, Parents Get Through
The other night, during bedtime, G decided she was suddenly hungry. K and I told her it was too late--dinner was done at least an hour previous and she should have told us sometime before it was bedtime. G said she wanted an apple and, even after K told her "no", she went and got one. This type of thing happens--children refuse to listen to their parents--but is not tolerated by us. While K put T to bed, I had G sit down at the table with me and discussed "listening to Mommy and Daddy" and how it was disappointing when she did not. I told her that things go more smoothly when she listens to us, and that she had plenty of time before bedtime to let us know she was hungry. Usually this results in her being angry because she did not get her way.

So you can imagine how surprised I was when she gave it back and said "I guess if you don't want me to have it, I won't." She said it kind of sadly, as if she expected me to relent and say "no, go ahead," but I did not. I thanked her for listening and told her I was very proud of her. Then I tucked her in bed. What continued to amaze me was that she wasn't sad at all. She was perfectly fine with the whole arrangement. I find that, sometimes, I have an easier time reasoning with her than I do with most adults, or even myself!

There is research to be done

No comments: