Friday, June 12, 2009

The Last of the Great Changes

T has been potty training this week. Both girls are at the grandparents' house having lots of fun while K and I have some time without children. It's a win-win-win situation. There is probably another "win" that can be inserted in there somewhere, but let's not go overboard.

The change of scenery coupled with the "big girl" mentality and the "we don't have any more diapers" lie have brought this change upon us. This aids all facets of life. It's good for the environment, it's good for our wallets, and it's good for us, because we're tired of changing diapers. So we're ecstatic. Hopefully the trend will continue when the girls return home.

So today is my last day with my current employer. The move is purely monetary--no hard feelings on anyone's end. The new job will pay better and offers better benefits--some of which are simply nice, others will actually lower some of our bills. When I was in danger of getting the job offer it quickly became apparent that it was the right move.

There is something to be said for staying at the same company and working your way up the ladder. Eventually you will make the kind of money you want to, even if you don't get promoted. It equals out; I simply got tired of waiting for that day while struggling through life in general.

It doesn't hurt that I can once again show up at work wearing a t-shirt and shorts. I can hang up the "business casual" outfits finally. This is a good thing, because my shirts were looking tired and my shoes almost have holes in them. So now they can all hibernate for a while until I pull them out for the occasional "dress nicely, but not that nicely" event.

And I'll actually be working just down the street from two other buildings in which I used to work (one of them twice). So the neighborhood is familiar, and it's closer to home, so I should be able to come home for lunch occasionally. Mostly, this means that I can stop taking a crappy, packed lunch to work and eating it at my desk. I'm looking forward to that.

So, yeah. Things are definitely looking up. I have zero motivation to do anything remotely work-related (even though I've been busy for the last hour). So I think I'll just sit here, zone out, and listen to some tunes to carry me through the day.

Time to say it, goodbye

No comments: