Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Oddities

So I went running around my favorite park the other day. My iPod had previously crapped out so my tunes were absent and I was forced to listen to relative silence for the better part of an hour. It's not really so bad, but I'd rather have the option to listen to music if I want. Ah well.

So I'm running along, minding my own business, and this dude is running the opposite direction. He's tall, he's lanky, and he's just recently put his hand in the air for a high-five from me.

What? Why? Who? I don't know this dude and I don't know why I'm now obligated to high-five him. Is this a "Whoohoo! Running!" high-five? Or did he just storm the beach at Normandy? Was it possibly a "Whoohoo! I just used my hand to wipe my ass!" high-five? Regardless, time was running out as we neared each other. Rather than leave him hanging, I high-fived him. Then I spent the rest of my run rather puzzled and snickering.

I've seen some strange people while running...strange people doing strange things. There are also annoying people doing strange or annoying things. Here are just a few:

1. The Person who, while walking, talks on their cell phone incessantly. This person is almost always female and walks at a 1 mph pace. She is not getting any real exercise, and it is a mystery to me as to why she bothers pretending. Every so often, she might accidentally stray off the path, dangerously close to tumbling down a weed-covered hill. But I bet she probably wouldn't notice.

2. Person walking dog...on a 500-yard leash. This person is quite a nuiscance. They walk their tiny dog on a retractable leash that seems to stretch to the sun...and back. This dog may as well not be on a leash at all, since it has free reign to go poopy anywhere it wants. And it usually does...and the owner never picks up after it. But the most annoying feature about this duo is that said dog is never reeled in, causing me to either have to run way around the animal or vault over the leash. I prefer the latter because it scares the shit out of the dog owner.

3. Person carrying dog. Honestly, why take your dog with you if you are going to carry the beast? True, these pups are usually smaller dogs who eventually tire. Honestly, it just looks funny. But at least it keeps the person from talking on their cell phone while walking.

4. This one's usually a group--people who like to take up all the space they can on the sidewalk/trail. It doesn't have to be a group...it could consist of one person walking in the middle of the surface, arms akimbo...or just a really large person traveling in the center. Either way, these people usually don't move for anything. I either have to ask a few times or just run around them, which I find rather irritating. These people aren't humorous. They're just rather lazy.

What this all boils down to is this--I want my tunes back! Stupid iPod.

Is it way too much to ask

No comments: