Monday, June 8, 2009

Wiikend (See what I did thar?)

Honestly, this has much more to do with the actual weekend than it does with anything having to do with the Wii. But first things first.

At one point I posed the idea to K that we should think about getting a Wii for the kids for Christmas. We both kind of stewed on this idea for a while, letting it percolate in the back of our noggins until it produced perhaps the best braincoffee ever. I have not brought up the subject since.

So E3 came and went and I paid a little attention to the Nintendo lineup. And I've decided that getting a Wii is about as tempting as sticking my hand in a shredder, dipping it in alcohol, and then perhaps eating a rat or two. But maybe that's a little harsh. Let's just say that I can't stand the 1980's graphics and they honestly have not created one damn game that I find appealing. Not one.

Now you might be saying "but, seriously, you're wanting to get it for your kids!! So why are you being such a naysaying, cynical ninny?" That's a good question. See, I already own an Xbox 360, and Xbox games are so much better that they basically have their way with Wii games' mothers. I usually have to lock mine up to keep them from prowling the neighborhood at night.

In all seriosity, There are a ton of child-themed games for the Xbox 360 and, during E3, Microsoft introduced "Project Natal: which, despite sounding like something that goes on in the hospital involving one or more babies, is a motion-sensing app for the 360 which, get this, apparently requires no controller! So while I think Nintendo's vision for the Wii's revolutionary control was quite...well, revolutionary, I just don't think they have the game to back it up. 'Nuff said.

Onto other things in a different paradigm.

This weekend was one of those "this was the best weekend ever" weekends. On Saturday, the family went to Art in the Park which is held in what could be my favorite park (it's where I frequently go running). The weather was perfect and fun was had by the whole family. Nobody lost their balloons to the evil wind this year and I even found a few different vendors selling pieces that I very much liked. That being said, I find it rather difficult to spend the amount of money they are asking on something that simply "looks nice." I'm more drawn to the functional and useful--items I can actually do something with. Sure, art is functional in that it keeps dust from falling onto the ground by collecting it. A miraculous invention!!!

I went back to the park later that day (stomach still full of brick-like pizza substance) and ran around for a while. I was fortunate enough to be able to turn off my iPod for a little while and listen to one of my favorite local bands, the Hillary Scot Band, while running around the outer area.

After Art in the Park, we went for an impromptu lunch at CiCi's pizza (home of the ultra-cheap but still mostly tasty pizza!). G, for some reason, suggested Subway but was quickly derailed and moved onto the proper track--a track that was not headed for sandwich disaster. The rest of the day was peaceful and strife-free as the girls both played together and had a blast with minimal oversight from us parental units.

Sunday, the womenfolk all headed for the grandparents' house while I chilled, bachelor style. "Bachelor style" means that I went out, stole a traffic cone, and woke up next to a creek. But I'm feeling much better now.

I saw "Up". I was originally going to see this with the girls but the grandparents were taking them instead, so I flew solo. Loved it. I'm also glad I didn't have to pay the silly fee for the 3D, since this particular theater does not have 3D equipment. I couldn't care less about 3D but will totally step over peoples' dead bodies to see movies in 4D. Seriously. I'm so there.

Actually, I went back to the park to run some more but my iPod crapped out after just one lap. In my frustration, I went home, only to have it start working about an hour later. This makes me yearn even harder for the iPhone I'm so gonna get just to show my current iPod who's boss. That's right, inanimate object! You heard me! Or did you? Nevermind.

And now I just got the news that the grandparents are going to keep the children until the end of next weekend! Huzzah!!

Sorry, there is no Scifi Saturday movie to review. They showed "Ultraviolet" and, well, we just couldn't bring ourselves to watch that piece of shit. Even we have our standards. They're low, but they exist somewhere in the ether.

It's freaking me out that I didn't see

No comments: