Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Day The Heater Died

It's necessary for life on Earth. We all use it. And, yet, it can singlehandedly destroy things quicker than almost anything else. Water really pisses me off sometimes.

Yesterday, I found a rather large (not deep) pool of water in the storage area. K's first query was if her books were okay, while my first query was whether we had a foundation problem. So while I scrambled to clean up the water (mopping it towards the drain), I also scrambled to find the source. It appeared to be coming from a corner but I could find no moisture on the wall, nor any cracks. I finally found a steady stream of water coming from the bottom of the water heater. This both relieved and troubled me.

I was grateful we didn't have foundation problems but not so jazzed about having to shut off the water heater and replace it--especially not knowing how long it would take to get a new one installed (nevermind the money that would have to be spent).

Luckily, one is being installed this evening. What surprised me, however, was the fact that delivery/install costs more than the stupid water heater itself. Seriously. That tells me that either a) installation is exhorbitant or b) I am a cheapass when it comes to buy water heaters. If I had to guess, I'd guess that both are true.

So we'll get the thing installed tonight, have hot water, and be happy. We'll have to figure out a little later how we're actually going to pay for the beast.

Ugh.

No comments: