Tuesday, January 12, 2010

That Raccoon Stole My Lambchop!

I have officially entered into the arena of "the guy who doesn't understand technology." Let me 'splain.

See, for G's seventh birthday, we got her a Nintendo DSi. The deal was, she could have one of those parties that parents dread--a party at Chuck E. Cheese or Going Bonkers or whatnot--or she could have a really badass birthday gift. She chose the latter. Smart kid! She still gets a party, and it should be fun.

Anyway, the decision to get her a DS was a no-brainer. But I was quickly befuddled by the fact that there are essentially three models out there--The DS (being phased out), the DS Lite, and the DSi. The DSi is the newest, so I assumed it was the greatest. For most things, it is. But they got rid of the GBA slot so it can't do some things that its predecessor, the DS Lite can do. This flies in the face of everything I've ever learned about technology, but I went with it.

Anyway, I really had no idea which model to get her. I've never looked at DSes, nor have I ever really wanted one. I also really know nothing about the games themselves. So, really, it was as if I was shopping for a prom dress or tampons or a fine bottle of champagne from some year that was really good. I also now know what my grandparents must've thought when they bought me my first D&D stuff...or anyone who is buying me computer games as a gift.

Sure. Let me go shopping for a video card, processor, or Xbox game and I'm good. But, I guess, all that matters in the end is that G really enjoyed her gift.

No comments: