Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Boogers and Birds

The title is random, like so many things I do. One is a story involving my 3-year-old and the solid week that she woke up every night, frantic about a booger in her nose. The other one is the inevitable tale of Spring when the birds find our dryer vent and nest within. Neither is worth its own paragraph but both are mildly humorous.

But never you mind. I don't really wish to bore you. I'm sure there are plenty of things you can find to do that. Visit an envelope factory if you really must be bored and can't think of anything.

So, a while back, I got these wireless headphones free from Mycokerewards.com. I don't have the ginormous influx of Coke points coming in anymore so I am sort of hoarding the stack of points I have, waiting for cool things. I figured wireless headphones fit this niche. Of course, as with many things, I had absolutely no use for them. But, hey, they're cool...and they're wireless!! This is serious technology! I mean, what's next? Online gaming?

Anyway...I was feeling creative today and decided I would do some writing tonight. I have a short story I've been working on that fits into my series of vignettes and it is really begging for attention. So, yeah, I intended to let my creativity flow tonight, spewing forth from my fingers, into the keyboard and, ultimately, onto my computer screen.

But then I thought of a really good use for my wireless headphones--I could use them to play guitar in the middle of the night and not wake anybody up. There was just one problem. I haven't really picked up my guitar for maybe a year. Maybe a little less. But when you're trapped in a pit with 50 hungry, multi-limbed monsters, who cares if you kill one, right? The other 49 are still going to whomp the shit out of you.

Now, one of my hangups with the guitar is this (if you laugh, I'll find you and give you a wedgie): I hate for anyone else to hear me play. I always have. Even during guitar lessons, I felt like an idiot. I don't think I'll ever understand why, but that's how it is. So you can imagine my happiness when I discovered the headphones' purpose.

So I picked up my baby and played a bit...and only I could hear me. I couldn't care less if I mess up, so I just played...privately, in my own little world. And it felt wonderful, like those times you wake up before the alarm is supposed to go off and realize you have the day off...kinda like that. And, yes, I sucked. Not playing for a year or so will do that to you. My callouses have long since atrophied so my fingers felt it, but it was a good hurt.

Here's a picture, just because I like to be all multimedia-ish, and stuff. It's an Epiphone Les Paul, tobacco starburst or some crap like that.



Another reason I haven't played for so long is I got bored. I've got a badass ear. I can pick riffs and chords out of a song on the radio and recreate them with scary speed (my piano childhood piano teacher tried to destroy that talent, but I defied him). But I don't seem to have the time to do this, or to write my own stuff. So I end up playing the same thigns over and over...which gets boring.

Also, and this is an afterthought, K and I watched "Beauty and the Beasts: A Dark Tale" last Saturday on Syfy, starring Estella Warren, who you might remember from the "Planet of the Apes" remake...or not, since her acting is as bad as that movie.

Anyway, I'm not really going to devote much time to this movie. Suffice it to say...it sucked...hard. Normally we laugh at how cheesy the movie is but, this time, we were laughing at the awful acting, hideous CGI, and the even worse editing. Yeah, it stunk. I can't even muster up the interest to create the Drive-In Totals. It was like taking a train wreck, mixing it with a car wreck, throwing a couple of plane wrecks in there for good measure, and then drizzling pure, liquified incompetence on top.

1 star

No comments: