Friday, April 30, 2010

Hello Starcraft, my old friend

It's been well over 10 years. Perhaps 12 years?

I have not seen you in a long time. How are you doing? Are things still going well? We should get together! We should definitely get together! You just say the word.

Many things have changed since we last got together. The world is a much different place for me as I'm sure it is for you.

Oh, and I hope you're okay with me jamming zillions of zerglings, mutalisks, and roaches into your base and ripping it to pieces. I'm just saying.

It really has been too long. But, like the good friend you lose touch with, it's good when you reconnect. Having played a few days in the Starcraft 2 beta test, I can say that I am glad it's back.

It's essentially the same game--a massive, frantic clickfest guaranteed to give you the worst mouse claw hand you've ever seen (and yes, Diablo, I include you in that). Yes, it's the same game...jumping off a cliff with its hair on fire screaming "Yeeeehaaawwww!"

There is change, though. Only about 1/3 of the units from the original make a return, and I don't think any units from the expansion made the cut. There are different buildings and different dynamics with defenses and offenses but, yes, the game is still the same at its heart.

Fun.

I cannot profess that I am really that good at it. Sometimes I win, sometimes I fail miserably. What I most look forward to is playing co-op games with against the AI opponents. that was always the most fun in the past and I see no reason that will change. Playing competitively is a good way to hone my skills but gets tiresome since I usually find something shiny and lose my concentration, then get my ass handed to me by some 10-year-old who is able to play it 24/7 because he doesn't go to school.

So how about it, Starcraft 2? Wanna grab a coffee, maybe see a movie? Then we can pummel the hell out of each other until our mouse clicking index fingers fall off...and then after our prosthetic index fingers disintegrate, we'll call it a day.

Also, say "hello" to your brother, Warcraft. I hear he's got a pretty sweet gig going these days. Any chance you'll follow in his footsteps?

See ya.

No comments: