Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I Call Shenanigans!

So, the other day, I went to my favorite park for a nice, peaceful run in the hideous heat and humidity. I often do this because I would almost rather gouge my eyes out with a grapefruit spoon than run on a treadmill at the gym. I'd prefer to do neither of those things, so I opt to run outside. Really, it's almost like swimming in humidity, so it's not all bad.

So, anyhoo, I pull up, all fly in my Yaris and looking phat with my iPhone strapped to my arm. I get out of the car and realize that someone is blasting the most god-awful "music" I've ever heard. It's very very loud, it's obnoxious, and it's laced with profanity (the f-bomb among other words). I'm not really against profanity in music but, please, don't force others to listen to it, especially when there are children and small puppies around. It was rap, it was loud, and it was rude. And I bet any puppies in the vicinity are going to grow up to be assholes now.

The enjoyer of this music was standing outside his car, dressed with his pants down to hanging off him, and looking rather unsavory. he was standing outside his car with the door open and just blasting this nasty music. I briefly thought about asking him politely to turn it the hell down but he really looked like he'd probably try to kick my ass. In retrospect, I probably should have said something. But, really, I'm a wuss at heart. I may be able to befuddle him with sarcasm, but I somehow doubt he'd appreciate the subtlety.

So I decided to just start running. Nobody else seemed to care and there wasn't anyone really close by anyway. I put on my headphones and took off down the sidewalk.

And not five seconds after I started, I saw a police car pull around and park behind this dude's car. They got out and started talking to this promising young man while I ran off into the distance.

1.7 miles later, I have looped around the park and check out the spectacle. The music has stopped, and the police are now searching his car. He's looking rather miffed, standing outside the car with some 'splainin' to do. I continued my run. After 4.1 miles and 3 gallons of sweat later, I finish. The dude is still there and the music has not come back, but he is now talking to his friend.

So now you can read this and cry "racist!" (because the dude was, indeed black) but, honestly, I cry "idiot!" I can't totally discount the fact that the police may not have searched his car if he was white. But obviously someone either called the cops on him for noise or they heard him and investigated. Maybe they had cause to search him. Maybe not.

But, honestly, white black or any other race, if you want to be respected in life, stop looking and acting like an asshat. Seriously.

No comments: