Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Game Over

My Extra Life game marathon came to an end around 7:30 Saturday night and, I think, was a complete success. Sure, nobody was "checking up" on me to see if I actually played for 24 hours straight. I mean, sometimes I did feel like I was being watched, but that might have just been fatigue...or not. Anyway, I only needed a really small excuse to game for 24 hours, so it worked out well.

I played through Halo: Reach, Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo: ODST, and most of the "Sierra 117" level of Halo 3. I could've gotten a little bit further if I hadn't stopped every so often to experiment in the games. These were my "I wonder what happens if I do this" moments. And, more often than not, they resulted in "Oh, I die" moments. At 10:00 in the morning after you've been gaming since 7:00 pm the previous night, moments like this can inspire quite a bit of slap-happy laughter.

I drank a lot of caffeine and didn't really start wilting until around 4 pm (with only about three hours to go). The nighttime and early morning hours flew by, with the rest of the time sort of dragging. I often found myself thinking I was almost done with one of the games, only to realize "Oh, I still have that level to play through."

I also took about an hour off of the Halo games to play Starcraft 2 with some friends online. We promptly sucked ass, then one of their connections dropped, so I returned to my Halofest.

There were also a couple of times where I felt I really should get out and get some exercise but, given the sleep deprivation, I decided I really wouldn't get very far anyway. I also wondered if I might get sore thumbs from the Xbox controller. There were many times, back in the NES and Super NES days, when I would get "Nintendo Thumb" (related to 'Mouse Claw" from playing too much Diablo) but my thumbs were sturdy and held fast. I also wondered if My Xbox would put up with being on for 24 hours, but it performed admirably. Not only does it play games, but it doubles as a fancy space heater!

In the end, money was raised and games were played...by around 3400 gamers. I had an awesome time, and will probably do it again next year if I can get a team together...in case I need another excuse to stay up all night playing videogames. Perhaps Minecraft for 24 hours straight?

No comments: