Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A couple of RMRs

Okay so, first off, I just want to reiterate...I hate blogger. That being said, I do think it's snazzy that they have now implemented a mobile version. But, then, everyone has mobile versions, and Blogspot is probably just behind.

With that out of the way, let's move on to what I really wish to talk about...

Just saw "Super 8". (No spoilers ahead.)

So, this movie is a lot like "Cloverfield" only without the shakycam and with children and an actual resolution. First, I must start off by saying...I liked Cloverfield. I won't get into that.

I also liked Super 8, but it is quite considerably a different movie while being a lot the same as Cloverfield. For the longest time, you either catch only brief glimpses of the creature-thing or you don't see it at all. Rest assured, like Cloverfield, that you do indeed get to see the thing at some point. The absense of the supernatural leaves the movie to address what really matters--plot, tension and, most of all, characters.

And the characters in this movie are not abnormal--you've got the pyro, the chubby kid, the nerd who falls in love and, finally, the "that kid"...yes, that kid--the one who is always losing his glasses or throwing up or really nerding it up. And while the children are somewhat stereotypical, they are all vivid and feel real in a "Stand By Me" kind of way. And while this movie is an "unravel the mystery" kind of movie it is also very much a buddy movie.

There is action, there are poignant moments, and there are laughs. I don't really believe this is the best movie I've ever seen but I didn't walk out of it wondering why I spent money on it.

And now, onto what you really want to read...

Syfy Pictures Presents: Ice Road Terror.

Heh...obviously influenced by the popularity of the Ice Road Truckers cabler, this movie definitely...er...does something. I'm still not sure what that something is. It's not a great movie. But it's also not worthy of being buried in the desert with all those copies of the Atari 2600 game E.T. Maybe buried next to them...

So it stars all scabs who were probably grateful just to get cast in this movie, because none of them is a master thespian. I doubt they could even find a spot in Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark (which still holds steady in my "Top 5 Worst Titles Ever" category).

So these two truckers are in a friendly, unofficial competition to get the most completed trips and, of course, they're tied. They both volunteer for a dangerous haul of explosives along the (currently melting) ice road. One trucker: a seedy but dashing scoundrel. The other trucker: a handsome nice guy. For reasons I still can't figure out (because I wasn't paying close attention to the intricacies of this masterpiece) a chick wanted to tag along. She fulfills the role of "cute female scientist chick" only she's not as hot as the women they normally cast.

Of course, things go wrong at the dig site and some creature escapes. As usual, lots of running, screaming, and eating of people ensues. Later, there's an awesome speech by a coward how he'd totally sell everyone up the river if he got the chance. His speech is cut short by the monster-thingy. Both trucks crash and they have to hoof it in the snow while the monster takes a coffee break.

The CGI is bad...terribad. and the monster itself isn't the only CGI. At some points, the trucks were CGI...also terrible. I think the acting was CGI as well. All this might lead you to believe that Syfy had an awesome budget. False. Bad CGI is probably cheap. And this was abundant. I personally think they had a monkey creating the images on an Apple IIe.

Now, the fact that they were hauling explosives would lead you to believe that they would kill the monster by blowing it up, right? Yeah, that was my prediction. For once, I was wrong. Ah well. I got most of the movie right.

Here are your Drive-In Totals:
Cowards pulled under the ice: 1
Scrappy couples destroyed: 1
Construction crews demolished: 1
Truck-fu
Gasoline-fu
Shotgun-fu
Person-munching
Truck-jumping
Head-crunching

2 1/2 stars

No comments: