Sunday, January 22, 2012

Getting My Thoughts Together

WotC have announced that they have been working on a new version of Dungeons and Dragons--since 2010. This both surprises me and doesn't surprise me.

On the one hand, 4e was not the resounding success that they thought it was going to be. In my mind, it was a complete failure--it was nothing that I wanted in my D&D brand. On the other hand, it surprises me that they have given up on it so quickly. In 2010, 4e was literally only 4 years old.

On a third hand (yeah, I'm a freak!), Paizo's Pathfinder RPG was literally showing WotC how it's done. Now, first, I must say that I've only played a couple of games of 4e. Those couple of games did not impress me. I had fun playing, but that was because I was among friends, cracking jokes and having a good time. I also have not actually played a Pathfinder game, ever. But I've read up a bit on Pathfinder. Paizo did it right. WotC did it wrong. Obviously that is simply my opinion, and I respect those conflicting opinions.

When 4e came out, I was at Gencon. I was disappointed. I was hot into 3.5 and loving it. So seeing WotC drop it and move on really made me sad. I attempted to embrace 4e but, the more I tried, the more I rejected it. There is next to no information about the next version but I see it as "WotC learning from mistakes" and, hopefully, they have.

I haven't played D&D since I basically quit my gaming group, but I still love the game. So, WotC, please don't screw this one up, k? That being said, should I ever go back and play again, it'll probably be Pathfinder.

Okay, onto lighter topics, like...

Syfy Saturday: Snow Beast

Starring John Schneider (yes, Bo Duke himself) as a single father with an angst-ridden teenage daughter, this movie tries to accomplish...well, I'm not really sure what it tries to accomplish, actually. Sure, there is snow, and there is a snow beast but...there is a lot less snow beast than I thought there would be. In fact, I think this movie is mostly about the father and the daughter, with some random snow beast interaction and mutilation.

So the father is part of a team that travels to a remote cabin in Canada once a year to track the lynx. He is punishing his daughter for fighting at school by bringing her along for the ride. She, of course, is thrilled...and sarcastic...and rather all-around unpleasant.

Once they meet up with the other two individuals of the team, they all start becoming stupid. I am not sure what the writers were thinking, but all of these characters started out looking rather intelligent and then devolve into stupidity. But enough about that.

So the snow beast is apparently a ninja of awesome ability. It moves silently and quickly and kills pretty much everything that moves...which makes the following even funnier.

See, instead of using crappy CGI, at which I am accustomed to laughing, they used a crappy costume with a dude inside. So when it was just brief flashes of snow beast, it was fine (still funny, though) but, when it came to actually seeing the whole snow beast run through the snow, it was absolutely hilarious. It looked, well, like a dude in a crappy costume.

There is, however, one lesson we can all take away from this movie--don't take a leak in the middle of nowhere. this is key. If you remember nothing else, keep that in mind. Seriously.

Here are your Drive-In Totals:
Dudes peeing in the middle of nowhere: 1
Ranger chow: 1
Snowboarder chow: 1
Snowmobile-fu
Tranq dart-fu
Knife-fu
Head-crushing
People-munching

2 stars

No comments: