Saturday, February 11, 2012

Let's talk about...

Joysticks.

No, that's not a euphemism. I really want to take a second to talk about joysticks. Weird, huh? See, the joystick was one of the first video game controllers invents. I'm guessing it might have been the first controller but I have not found any definitive proof of that.

This is why it pains me to discover, after multiple "Battlefield" games, that EA and DiCE can't seem to figure out how to code a game to properly use a joystick. In all honesty, I have to assume that DiCE is inept and simply doesn't know how to code a game to take advantage of a joystick. Somehow, I got my joystick to work in Battlefield 2 but in no other game. Why is this? A scant few individuals have gotten theirs to work in different Battlefield games but that seems to be pretty rare.

To be truthful, the Battlefield games are really fun. But they are some of the most poorly-coded games out there. The game browser has always been dismal and the games themselves have always been unstable and full of silly bugs that never should have made it out of beta. Alas, I am as guilty as everyone else--I sometimes buy their games even though I detest EA as a company. I am working on that.

So, to adequately fly a jet or helicopter, I had to buy a wired Xbox controller, leaving my perfectly good joystick to sit and gather dust. The Xbox controller works flawlessly but, if DiCE could code for that, why couldn't they code for a PC joystick?

That is all.

No comments: