Saturday, August 4, 2012

Let the Games Be...er...Continue!

The Olympics!

You might be saying "Bah, humbug...what do I care about the Olympics? I hate sports...grumble grumble grumble." Yes, I am sure that's exactly how everyone says it...with their arms crossed in front of them and a frown on their sour face. Think Scrooge...with a beanie hat, clown shoes, and a parrot on his shoulder.

So I am a huge fan of the Olympics. I will watch them day in and day out and it doesn't really matter what sport they're showing.

And it's not so much the sports themselves. That's about half of it. I really enjoy the spirit of the Olympics. It's a time when countries come together to play games, hang out, and experience other cultures. What can be better than that? Were we all so lucky

Sure, there are moments of tension or people who can't control their mouths but, on the whole, I truly believe most everyone simply enjoys being there to represent their country and have the chance to win a disc made of some metal that we humans have assigned a value to.

And the Olympics produce some amazing stories of triumph, defeat, and courage. I would say that the Olympics is probably the best reality show ever put on, and it's definitely the longest-running.

Yes, I think it is unfortunate that professional athletes are allowed to compete in the games. And, also yes, the definition of "professional athlete" can sometimes be ambiguous. But I am of the opinion that, if you get paid for your sport and, especially, if there is a professional circuit in which you participate, then you have no place in the Olympics. Give the everyman his chance in the sun.

Anyway, that's it. A quick blurb has escaped my cranium.

No comments: