Friday, April 12, 2013

Pete and Repeat Were Sitting on a Fence...

Dear Video Games,

Several of you--and you know who you are--are too good. In fact, lots of you are too good. Don't look at me like you don't know what I am talking about. You know full well what you're doing. Sure, most of you look very appealing from day one. And then I procure you, dreaming about you while I sleep and longing to play you at times when I can't. Yes, all is good at that point.

But, then, I play you. I play you like a fiddle at a pawn shop. Honestly, I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. I play you a lot, while new hotness waits in line for attention. Sooner or later, I move on and play a different game or two. And I have lots of fun.

But, no matter how much I enjoy any other game, there are still older games I long to replay. You would think I'd get tired of them eventually but, nay, I return to them like a friendly, warm blanket (what we used before the "Snuggie" was invented), happy to pick them back up as if I'd never left.

Seriously...there are times when I still would like to play Civilization II or the original Diablo. Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, StarCraft II, Oblivion, Skyrim, XCOM...the list really goes on and on. There aren't enough hours in a day...or a lifetime to replay all these games.

And multiplayer...ugh. Multiplayer extends the game's life even more than usual. It's insane. Just briefly glancing at my Steam library makes me wish I could load up a plethora of tasty options and play them all nonstop. Well, mostly nonstop. Eventually, I'd have to pee. Eventually.

To any gamer, I need not even explain this phenomenon. They would understand instantly. To anyone else, it comes closest to rereading a series of books multiple times or watching an entire TV series over and over again. You never get tired of it! And the games just keep piling up, creating an awesome mountain of sheer goodness. And at the top of that mountain stands a goat that laughs at me and...oh, sorry. Got lost there for a minute.

Anyway, there you go.

No comments: